I have a blog post (or more likely series) that I’d really like to write and I need your help.
When I started this blog, I worried it would seem like an awkwardly smooshed together amalgam of INFJ blog and Christian blog. You’re supposed to find a niche or theme of some kind and focus your blogging there. Not start two blogs on the same site and post one on Mondays and one on Saturdays. But I felt this what what I should do and so I did. And it’s been wonderful.
I’ve heard from so many INFJs who find my blog through the Myers-Briggs posts and then comment because they discovered I’m Christian. I’ve also heard from other types. Most surprisingly, quite a large number of NTs want to talk about their faith. It’s been fascinating to hear from the types stereotyped as the least religious. Many talk about the challenges they face, especially in connecting with other Christians or in feeling like their faith walk doesn’t follow the “normal” pattern.
That has me wondering: if Christianity is a faith meant for all people then why aren’t we doing a better job of connecting with all personality types? It’s a very broad generalization, but most Christians in the United States seem to be Sensing types and/or Feeling types. And that’s who many churches cater toward. They’re focusing on the sort of traditions that make SJ types comfortable, or trying to engage SP types in sensory worship experiences, or appealing to the spiritual interests of a few NF types.
I firmly believe God created personality variations for a reason and that He longs for a relationship with all people. There are already Christians of every personality type who have strong walks with God. But they’re not all equally valued and understood in the churches. And I’d very much like to start changing that.
My Questions For You
Here’s where you guys come in. I want to hear from Christians of as many different personality types as possible. If you want to contribute and don’t know your personality type yet, please check out my post Finding Your Real Myers-Briggs Type (if you can’t narrow it down to a single type or just want to take one online test instead of researching typeology in-depth, that’s okay. I’d still love to hear from you).
I’m asking you to please share your personality type and answer some (or all, if you like) of these questions:
- Which Bible characters and/or stories do you most identify with?
- Do you have gifts or talents that you feel are not appreciated or that you don’t have an opportunity to use in the church?
- Do you have gifts or talents that are particularly encouraged and supported in the church?
- Are there expectations from other Christians that you have a hard time meeting because of how your mind naturally works?
- Which teaching/preaching styles connect with you best? How do you like to hear and learn about God and His word?
- In what ways could the church better connect with someone like you when preaching the gospel?
- What’s one of the biggest challenges you face as a Christian?
- Why are you a Christian? In other words, what makes you believe this faith is the right one?
You can either leave a comment here or send me a private message through my Contact Me form. Unless you tell me otherwise, I’ll assume that by getting in touch you agree I can quote you directly and credit you by first name (or screen name) and Myers-Briggs type.
Please spread this around! The more people sending in their ideas and perspectives the better. Hopefully we’ll get enough feedback for several posts. Maybe it will even grow into an ebook. I can’t wait to read what you all have to say!
Updates — I’ll post links to the posts here as I finish them:
- INFJ: Mercy And Truth Meet Together
- ENFP: All Your Heart, Mind, and Soul
- INFP: That Which Every Joint Supplies
- INTP: To Seek And Search Out By Wisdom