The Sea of Galilee in Israel is a thriving, beautiful lake that acts as the main water source for all of Israel. Its outlet is the Jordan River, which flows to the Dead Sea. The water there is brackish — 25% salts — and the minerals continue to build up because there is nowhere for the water to flow out of the sea. The Dead Sea is dead because it has no outlet.
This blog is my outlet for thoughts on topics such as psychology and culture (Monday) and Bible Studies I want to share (Saturday). The most important outlet are the Saturday posts. God has worked amazingly in my life, and if we keep silent about His majesty the rocks will cry out to sing His praises. When He leads my Bible study, I don’t want to keep what I learn confined to the growing stack of notebooks in my closet any more (learn more about my faith by clicking here).
I’m a homeschool graduate with a B.A. in English from The Ohio State University. I graduated summa cum laude in 2012 with research distinction and with minors in creative writing and studio art. While in school my fiction, creative non-fiction, and academic writings won first and second place awards in the Florence B. Allen competition. I also presented my research on 18th century literature twice at the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum.
Right now, I live with my parents, younger siblings, and an elderly cat. I work as a freelance writer and blogger (see below for more info). When not writing, I love baking cheesecakes, reading books, puttering around in my garden of 80+ daylily hybrids, and belting out Broadway show tunes.
My non-fiction work has appeared in web and print publications including eHow, SFGate, Living Education, Femnista, and Boundless.org. I’ve also self-published two e-books: The INFJ Handbook and God’s Love Story. Here are links to some of my articles:
- Teaching Your Students To Find Their Flow. Living Education, Spring 2017
- Walking Across Sea World. Encouraging Dads Project, January 2017
- Fear Leading: Anakin’s Turn to the Dark Side. Femnista, December 2016
- Becoming “Noble Harry”. Femnista, July 2016
- A Homeschooler’s Tips For College. Living Education, Fall 2015
- What to Do When an Unbeliever Wants to Date You. Boundless, January 2015
- Link to all my eHow articles
- What Are Two Factors That Can Be Changed to Decrease Soil Erosion? SF Gate
If you’re curious about my fiction my website is MarisMcKay.com. There are links to some short stories on there you can read for free.